Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Assessing & Tracking Auditory Skills {Using FREE Tools!}

A child's auditory skills are acquired in a developmental and progressive sequence, although their pace may vary depending on many different factors!  There are lots of different free tools available to assess and track auditory skills.  They give you a good idea of the child's baseline, as well as provide you with an appropriate sequence for instruction, tracking and writing goals.



My FAVORITE tool to track auditory skills is the Auditory Learning Guide by Beth Walker (my professional idol!)  This tool gives you a really nice sequence of listening skills up to 4 years post-amplification.  You can find the ALG here:  Auditory Learning Guide



The Auditory Skills Checklist was developed by Nancy Caleffe-Schneck (and adapted by Karen Anderson) to assess functional listening skills in young children with hearing loss.  It can be found here:  Auditory Skills Checklist




Two parent interviews about home listening behaviors are the CHILD (Children's Home Inventory for Listening Difficulties) and the ELF (Early Listening Function).  Both of these were developed by Karen Anderson and are available from Phonak here:  CHILD and ELF



The FAPI (Functional Auditory Performance Indicators) is a tool to assess functional auditory skills.  The skills are arranged in a hierarchical sequence and are very specific (nice for writing goals).  You can find the FAPI here:  FAPI


The IT-MAIS (Infant-Toddler Meaningful Auditory Integration Scale (IT-MAIS) and the MAIS (Meaningful Auditory Integration Scale) are parent report scales each containing 10 questions about a  child's listening behaviors.  The IT-MAIS can be found here:  IT-MAIS and the MAIS can be found here:  MAIS


The PEACH (Parents' Evaluation of Aural/Oral Performance of Children) and the TEACH (Teachers' Evaluation of Aural/Oral Performance of Children) are questionnaires for evaluating/reflecting on a child's listening behaviors at home and school.  They were developed by Ching and Hill and can both be found here:  PEACH & TEACH


I often use Karen Anderson's SIFTER (Screening Instrument For Targeting Educational Risk), available for elementary and secondary; and the LIFE (Listening Inventory For Education) for evaluating FM efficacy.  Both are available here, along with a lot of other assessments:  Success for Kids with Hearing Loss Tests



Advanced Bionics has a form for tracking daily listening checks.  It only allows for a week of data, but it would be nice for someone who is new to listening checks.  You can find it here:  Daily Listening Check

This list is definitely not exhaustive.  There are a lot more resources out there...and many of them free!  Please feel free to share any tool you use to help you assess or track auditory skills!  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Great run down of tools for tracking functional auditory skills. I too am a big fan of Beth Walker and the ALG - that's my favorite for use with families. I also use the CASLLS - mostly for tracking language goals/progress, but listening skills can be tracked right alongside on the same worksheets. Not free though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the CASLLS too! It keeps the progression fresh in my mind as I see where we've been and where we're going! Thanks for visiting the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I'm an audiologist and a LSLS Cert AVT. It is so great to stumble across your new blog. I noticed you are from Ohio – I’m a University of Akron graduate that lives in Chicago now. All our family is in Ohio and we visit a few times each year.

    I actually linked your I SPY game that I purchased on my business facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Auditory-Verbal-Center-of-Wheaton/196381927114473

    The post said,” St. Patrick’s I Spy – The listening clue was “A large green creature that lived in prehistoric times and is now extinct.” My Little Listener replied, “dinosaurs are dead because they don’t stink anymore”. Yep! Stink vs Extinct.
    Game from www.listening4language.blogspot.com”

    Come on over and find me on FB!

    Anyhow, this morning I was consulting with a hospital that is pursuing an auditory rehabilitation program for an up and coming cochlear implant program. I was asked what assessment tools are available beyond those we use for children with typical hearing. I recalled your blog post on free assessments. Would you kindly give me permission to repost the test portions of your post on my blog www.HearSayLW.com? I use these same assessments and you already have them linked. I would reference http://listening4language.blogspot.com/, give you the credit and link it back to your blog so that that search engines will take readers to you. It would be great to work together as well!

    I often happily offer my content to other bloggers. Let me know your thoughts.

    Feel free to email directly at Lynn@HearSayLW.com or by private message on FB at the Auditory Verbal Center of Wheaton.

    Many thanks,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete